For those getting breast augmentation, it can be an exciting and nerve-wracking adventure, as it can add volume and symmetry back to your body and help you feel more beautiful inside and out. However, recovery is considered one of the most vital aspects of any plastic surgery procedure, as following your post-operative directions can help prevent complications and support healthy, proper healing. Closely following your recovery instructions is the best way to help you navigate your breast augmentation procedure, and we’re here to provide you with some tips so you can recover smoothly.
Why You Should Follow Your Post-Operative Instructions
The best way to ensure that you are doing everything right after your procedure is to follow your plastic surgeon’s instructions regarding wound care, medication, and other aspects of the healing process. Following these instructions can minimize the appearance of scars and help reduce any signs of pain associated with the healing process. During the first few days, it may be the most difficult time for you as you may experience uncomfortable soreness around the area. Post-operative instructions are meant to help reduce pain and also help you recognize any side effects that appear unusual, painful and require medical attention if needed.
After a breast augmentation procedure, your plastic surgeon will provide you with specific instructions related to your body to help you with your care and recovery. Most often, these instruction packets will include information such as:
- Caring For Your Incisions: This includes aspects such as washing your hands, washing your incisions, caring for sterilization strips, and applying ice packs if needed.
- Diet Instructions: In some cases, plastic surgery procedures will also include diet instructions, such as eating foods with fiber to prevent constipation, drinking water for hydration, and beginning with a bland diet of soup and crackers.
- Activity Instructions: Avoiding strenuous activity, driving, and lifting heavy objects helps to speed up the healing process and prevent further injuries, as these instructions help with managing your level of activity throughout the day.
- Medication and Pain Control Methods: Following your medication instructions can help reduce pain symptoms associated with your surgery.
However, some people may experience problems following these instructions due to life circumstances or unusual reactions to medications. The post-operative healing process is essential for a successful surgical procedure, so finding ways to manage your daily life while healing can help smooth out the process. Some tips to help with your healing process include:
- Setting Aside Time to Recover: Taking time off work to heal is important, especially if your job demands physical labor and excessive activity. Setting aside time for your recovery is recommended.
- Receive Help From Loved Ones: Getting help from friends and family, such as driving to places, helping with childcare, and cooking meals, can help you recover quicker.
- Preparing Your Home Before The Surgery: Before the day of your surgery, preparing your home for your recovery can help during the first few days and remove unnecessary stress.
- Fill Your Prescriptions Ahead of Time: Most of all, if your plastic surgeon prescribes medications, filling your prescriptions before your surgery can help remove worries and recovery better.
Because every breast augmentation procedure is unique, it’s important to consult with your plastic surgeon first to decide if breast augmentation is right for you.